Irish Ex GS&WR 101 (J15) class 0-6-0
THE Great Southern and Western Railways 101 class was Ireland’s largest steam locomotive class with 119 members (never more than 111 locomotives existed at one time - as older locomotives were scrapped, a new one took its number!).
Originally designed at Beyer Peacock, the first started work in 1867, although the GSWR’s Engineer, Alexander McDonnell had rebuilt an earlier 0-4-2 to an 0-6-0 (doubtless having the use of BP’s drawings for the planned engines) and in time this locomotive became a standard member of the class.
Although ten were produced by Beyer Peacock and eight by Sharp Stewart, the vast majority were built by the GS&W in their Inchicore works, in Dublin, Ireland, with the final loco being rolled out in 1903.
The later Great Southern Railways classified them as Class J15, a designation commonly used in CIE days.
There were many changes, great and small, made over the years. With the exception of eight locos (all rebuilds of one form or another) which were withdrawn in the late 19th century, in time all received new round top firebox 4’4” boilers, some of these locomotives (like the preserved No.184) retained this saturated steam boiler until scrapping. Beginning in 1930, about half of the class received a later superheated “Z” Class boiler with Belpaire firebox – the preserved No.186 was one of these.
The original locomotives had typical BP features including a sloping front to the smokebox, fitted with double smoke box doors, these being replaced with a single vertical door in the course of rebuilding.
In later years most superheated locomotives ran with larger tenders while the saturated locomotives mainly kept the smaller tenders with springs to the upper sides of the tank sides, however there were several other types of tenders used as well.
Almost 60 remained in service into the 1960s, of which, about a dozen still had round top fireboxed saturated boliers.
The last of the class was withdrawn in the mid 1960s. Thankfully, one of each main type has been preserved: No 184 representing the earlier round top boiler and smaller upper sprung tender, the other being No 186 with a super- heated (Belpaire firebox) Z boiler and a larger tender.
DRUMMOND Ex LSWR D15 Class 4-4-0.
Ten new D15 class locomotives (designed by Drummond) emerged from Eastleigh works in 1912. After unsuccessful performances and failures of his larger six coupled locomotives, he reverted to the cheaper and more reliable 4-4-0s, these D15s were to be his last design, they had 8-wheel watercart tenders when new , and started service on the Bournemouth line.
The original style was short lived, during 1915-1917 the locomotives were superheated and tenders replaced with Drummond 6-wheel type.
These proved to be excellent and well liked, they were replaced on the Bournemouth line in 1925 by the King Arthur 4-6-0’s The D15 went over to the Portsmouth main line, with all its curves it suited the 4-4-0 very well,Then in 1937 the line was electrified and the locomotive went to do lesser cross country duties, such as the Brighton-Plymouth service and during the summer doing the waterloo-Lymington boat train
From late SR days, much of the original chimneys were replaced with Stove type chimneys and had their snifter valves removed.
The last D15 in service was No 30465, which was withdrawn from service in 1956, they were all scrapped .